Friday, January 19, 2007

The Matchmaker

Normally, I wouldn't discuss my job or the workplace, here on this blog, but an odd thing happened yesterday afternoon. I've recently become fast friends with this woman in my department. She's a newlywed & very much in love with her husband. Our friendship is strictly on the up & up. We're basically shoulders for the other to cry upon (we've both been feeling remorse for transferring into this department, but that's another story).

Since we sit at opposite ends of our office. We often send each other instant messages, which are usually full of snarky comments about coworkers. So she sends me a message: "can I ask you something personal?...you don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable. I'm just curious."

Oh oh. I'm thinking she's going to ask me if I like to cuddle men. Hmm...semi-worried about how to respond, if that's the big question. We have a pretty big group here, and I talk to almost everyone about my personal life, what I did over the weekend, etc...BUT with an edited mouth. I don't think it's any body's brizness what or who I did in WeHo last Saturday night. Then I start to think: so what? what would happen if I told her (or anyone else in the office) that I'm a big ol' Mo?.....

So she asks me the question: "are you single and looking?....if yes, I have a girl that would be great for you.....are you interested?".....so I respond (honestly): "yes I'm single, but no, not interested". So that ended that, and we went on to talk smack about one of the managers for looking a lot like Eeyore....

On the drive home, I thought about our "conversation" and kinda beat myself up for not telling her then that I was gay. That would have been the perfect opportunity to stop future blind date set ups....I've made up my mind this morning, that the next time we (or any of my fellow drones) talk about amore, I'm going to just tell her straight (har!) out that I likes the mens...If she's as cool as I think she is, then nothing much will change...unless, she's got a single brother who's looking for some loving.

2 comments:

LittleBigChris said...

What happened? What happened?

Christopher said...

The dating subject hasn't come up again...However, I was asked by a co-worker (straight guy that I secretly have a crush on...think: Keanu Reeves, but a little taller & with a personality) this past Monday what I did over the weekend. I was honest and mentioned that I spent a good part of Sat night in West Hollywood...no weird reaction from him....it felt really good to be honest about my private life.