Tuesday, February 6, 2007

"Woody's at the Beach" to close

Woody's at the Beach, a popular upscale gay bar and restuarant, in Laguna Beach will close this month and hand over its keys to Orange County-based Avila's El Ranchito. Woody's managing partner, Joel Herzer, said in a statement posted on the restaurant's website, that he has sold the seaside property to the Mexican food chain. "This was a difficult decision to make. I would like to express our sincere thanks for all the support and patronage we've had from the community". Herzer stated that he isn't closing Woody's because of poor business. He's decided to sell Woody's so that he can focus on 2 other restaurants he operates in Palm Springs.

Woody's earned a reputation as one of the city's most friendly, laid-back, local must-do restaurants. I havent been to Woody's in about 2 years, but the last time I was there the food was fantastic, the drinks were memorable (great margarita's) and the atmosphere was fun & relaxed. You felt like you were at a close friend's backyard BBQ party. I'm sending out the call to a few of my friends, to see if we can make it over there this weekend. If we do make it, I'll be raising a glass to my inspiration for starting this blog, who also gave me the heads up on Woody's demise.

***Update***: Woody's closed on Feb 3rd....I need to get me a fact checker!

1 comment:

Michael Guy said...

O M G! I'm your 'blog daddy'?

Le sigh re: Woody's. I guess my one dinner there becomes another fond memory of a great dinner with good friends.