Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Stroking Myself

I'm about to break a personal Blog Post Rule here and discuss my job.....I'm only doing so, because I'm seething with anger, and I need an outlet to vent. Well, I just had my pre-mid-year performance evaluation. I was asked by my boss to take his evaluation form & to rank myself, based on the listed criteria, prior to our meeting...Then we would compare notes & discuss the variances. Bleh!!...This is such a fricken waste of time, because I always rank myself high & then he shoots me back down, regardless of my rationale....so why should I even put forth any effort in this self evaluation?!

Anyhoo, as expected my boss's overly aggressive goals/unreal expectations shot my (self-ranked) high scores down....way down. But I'm ok with that, as we went through this exact same dance last year. Boss man gives me an initial low ranking mid-year, and then at year end he shoots my scores way up & details all of the 'significant' improvements I've made.....and the year end rating is the one that dictates my annual increase, so whatever....I'm not long for this department anyway...

But that's not what's got my undies in a twist....what has me ready to throw a bitch out of a window is that someone in our department (6 employees total) has complained to my boss that I am "on the Internet all day".....I denied the charges of course, and my boss told me not to worry about it, because all he cared about was that I'm making my deadlines & he doesn't care what I do in my free time. He was only letting me know, so that I would literally watch my back....um, thanks (?)

I have a good idea who it is (well there are 2 witches that I'm considering)....I'm very close to the other 3 employees in our group & we all joke on a daily basis of how much time we've spent reading blogs, cruising Ebay, etc...

Had I been in my boss' shoes, I'm not so sure if I would've said anything to me about it, because now all I want to do is to rip out the bitter hags' hearts....So much for team spirit!.....but it's too late now...the beans have been spilt & I'm on the war path....I only wish that they were still here in the office, while my anger is red hot.

Tomorrow, when the frog faced one shoots me an email asking how the evaluation went, I'm telling her what the boss told me about "someone's" accusations & that I've got a pretty good idea who that person is....and then she'll run over to her redneck buddy & whisper-whisper what I just told her.

No more Mister Nice Guy....Bitches!

Update:

So early this morning, I'd resolved to take the high road & not mention to Froggy (I'm convinced that it's her & not the Redneck) that I knew of her tattle-telling....I mean, why give her the satisfaction of knowing that her tactics worked?...

....but then she popped into my cubicle, while I was eating breakfast & seeing that face & hearing that whiny voice set something off in me....I really wanted to 'reach out & touch someone'....but work place violence is so '90s....

She started to complain that she had received a pretty bad review...whine, whine, whine.....then she asked how mine went...of course I told her that it was surprisingly one of the best reviews bossman had given me....I told her that I had ranked myself pretty low, and he did just the opposite....then I asked her if she had a few minutes & that I'd like to talk to her in a privacy room....I just couldn't let this go on & put on a happy face.....I needed to confront her, otherwise it would just eat at me.....I'm tired of sweeping things under the rug...that's the old me.

In the privacy room I told her about my knowledge of "someone's" complaint...I didn't accuse her of being the bitch in question. I told her that bossman told me he doesn't care what I do during my free time here, as long as I get my work done on time...I said that it's great that that's how he feels.....I guess....but it's upsetting to me that someone would go to him & make this accusation....then I said something along the lines of: "I was under the impression that our group was made up of professionals, who didn't play games, make accusations, tattle-tell, & stab each other in the back".

I also mentioned that: "It's really sad that I no longer feel comfortable in this group, and now I'm always going to have to feel like I need to watch my back. I've always done my own work & worried about my own self...you know, like we all should be doing".

She listened to me, nodded her head, and didn't interrupt....I also said: "there's always that one person in every work group who is bitter, jealous, and not happy unless there's conflict in the workplace".

Her response (as somewhat predicted): "that sucks though because I think at some point we are all on the internet. You can't really expect everyone to be working all the time. My thought on it is that as long as it doesn't effect me, what do I care. I have enough to worry about. I'd care if it was an issue of you not doing your work and then I'd have to do it due to your slack...but seriously what you are doing doesn't really effect anyone, so I don't understand why someone would bring that up.....oh wow....I had no idea....that's too bad, Chris....are you ok?"

Oh, how I wanted to slap that fake concern off of her flat, oily face!

Now, I feel tons better! .....I guess it's time to put back that dark tinted glare protection on the monitor.....ha!!.....or would that be too obvious?

Thanks for all of the advice Peeps!

13 comments:

The Other Andrew said...

You need to set up Hag Cam. I'm just sayin'. Put all her work avoidance crap out there for everyone to see...

RAD Homo said...

Sorry to hear..Funny I must work with reletives of your co workers as I have a frog faced one and big cow faced lady workers in my office that make my life at work a living hell on a daily basis..

Lewis said...

Hey man, as much as it sounds like a total crock.....be careful. We've had three people fired at work for internet improprieties and I can think of a fellow blogger that has been fired recently because of the same thing. Companies are truly getting serious about it. So, as silly as the whole deal is, just keep a level head about you. And, don't forget, since January 1, companies are now required to keep copies of all emails from/to all employees for seven years. Yikes!

Eric said...

I had a boss like that, OBSESSED with whether or not people were on the internet or playing around and people were MORE than happy to spy.
Now I work at a job where I'm far more productive than anyone else who previously held the job and I do more work in less total hours a week, so they've tolerated any "playing" they perceive I do. But I still have a coworker who's an annoying little shit and whines about it, but that's because he's incompetent and doesn't understand why they're upset that he fools around on the computer.
I don't know why I just told you all that.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

You GO, man...get 'em! Let's face it -- 90% of people these days cruise on the internet at work, INCLUDING those bitches and your boss, so can you say HYPOCRITES? It's cool that your boss doesn't care as long as you get your work done, that is how it should be. BUT, the witches, as you call 'em, have declared WAR in my book, and YOU can play at their game, baby! As for monitoring people's internet use in general, I think it's totally a waste of time and money - as LONG as the person is doing their job!

Michael Guy said...

Be careful on creating an enemies list in the workplace. First, casually sharing with a co-worker that your boss noted your internet browsing during a performance appraisal let's it be known that the blabbermouth's pipeline to your boss proved worthy. Don't give them the satisfaction of knowing that the bossman pays any attention to what they have to share with regard to ratting someone out.

Second, now you are aware. Awareness in the workplace is key to undermining and backstabbing your enemies. But they won't know that is taking place because you need to keep your game face 'love you tons' face on. There are ways to deal with office snitches. Besides--given enough time, they usually implode from their own job function inadequacies big time.

That's really why you're on their hit list. You do the job well and can still find time to bounce around the internet. But heed what Lewis has to say, too.

Sorry for the ramble. If you truly want to get rid of the betch call me: I have a handgun and a shovel.

WAT said...

So typical! UGH! It sounds so much like my own workplace I wanna scream!

Be careful too of those who claim to be your friends. You'd be surprised how they can easily backstab u at work if they are able to. I have found this out the hard way.

Red7Eric said...

Sounds like you handled it well -- if you're right and it WAS Froggy and NOT the Redneck, now she knows that her accusation caused some genuine discomfort and a dip in team morale -- and while it would have been satisfying to rip her a new one, now she's the bitch of the situation and not you.

Gary said...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, "That bitch oughta be boiled in oil". (Okay, what's that from?)

jay said...

I never get that. Why is it that some people assume that because it takes them THIS long to get something that that it must also take you the same amount of time and if you don't then you're not productive.

Maybe they should look at their own productivity and realize that maybe they're the incompetent ones.

Steven said...

...What has me ready to throw a bitch out of a window is that someone in our department (6 employees total) has complained to my boss that I am "on the internet all day"...

You wrote this when you were at work, huh?

D-Man said...

I say kiss the frog and maybe she'll turn into a prince. A gay prince and then you can have great sex at work, and the redneck will be shocked.

Natalie said...

I totally pictured the whole office story in my head as though it were an actual episode from a comedy series on television.
You should write.
Or maybe even star in something you wrote yourself!
Bloggers can write till they're blue in the face, but rarely paint a picture of their rants and anguish.