Tuesday, August 7, 2007

What a Great Day...

...to leave work early. The boss is out sick today (the power of prayer is real, y'all), I have nothing to do here anyway, and the weather is perfect for a beach visit. Methinks I may come down with a terrible sinus headache shortly after lunch.

You know, the day started off kinda shitty, when Mama called to ask me, out of the blue,: "why don't you get a job at Hyundai?"......uhhh...what?...why?

Apparently my brother's (22-year old) friend got a job there and they gave him a company car, a large office, and they even sent a houseplant to his apartment.....well, color me jealous (not). When I asked what this lucky young man does there, she said: "the same as you...business administration"....poor misinformed Mama has my degree confused with my occupation (lookin' fabulous & gettin' paid).

These kinds of suggestions are all too common from me Mum...she'll see a car that she thinks I'd like & then call me to ask why I'm not at the dealership purchasing it...For some reason, she really needs to have me "Keeping up with the Joneses"....I know her intentions are well meant, but sometimes I want to just yell back: ..."why can't you just be happy for me & all that I've accomplished?!"...but I don't....I was raised better than that.

But things are suddenly looking up, as the idea of leaving my office desk early continues to grow....see ya at the Beach!

8 comments:

Silly Billy said...

Oooohhhh. Nice, Nice.

BTW - why would you EVER pass up a free house plant?????

Lewis said...

So, what kind of plant are you going to choose? I'd go for the beach. The naked beach.

Michael Guy said...

She's your mom. Her sole existence is to point out your fatal character, lifestyle and career failures.

Lucky dog getting to knock off early; I had that luck yesterday with our busted AC in the workplace.

Jim said...

Wait, you live in Long BEACH and you actually go to the BEACH? That's crazy California for ya'!

Steven said...

We share the same mother.

franck said...

how could you not want to work for hyundai? their cars are so hot!
wow, i typed that with a straight face, i'm impressed

Steve said...

I used to get that shit from my dad. "Why don't you get a job in county government?" All the time with the job with the county. The thing is I knew people who worked for the county. They hated their jobs. HATED it. So sure dad, I'll quit doing what I love doing and go be miserable with my friends. He stopped that after I kept telling him that.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

OK, now I have to ask - are you actually originally from the South?