Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Should I Stay or Should I Go Now

I've got a bit of a conundrum here....there's a job that just went up on our corporate job listing website that I'm seriously considering applying for. I have to make a decision very soon, as the deadline for submitting my resume is this Friday. It's a program management position, which I'm qualified for, it would be a lateral career move, but I'd ask for an increase in pay anyway (looking for 8-10% more), and it's closer to home (10 miles closer). The ONLY problem I can see with this job is the hiring manager.

I used to work with her back in 2002 (we were both junior analysts). We were in the same department, but had completely different responsibilities. She came in from the customer call support center and really had minimal PC skills....she often asked for help with Excel spreadsheets, and I was cool with helping the dummy out. Now, this girl may have had minimal computer skills, but she did have a silver tongue. She could talk her way out of any sticky situation.

I found out that she was also quick to lay the blame on me for mistakes that she made on her reports. Apparently, If I helped her locate data sources for any analysis she was working on, then she & I BOTH worked on the assignment....she had no problem with throwing my name out as a co-f*ckup....but what she found out is homo don't play that...our working friendship quickly changed the first time I cut her off mid-speech during a staff meeting:

Her: "I don't know why the numbers on this report don't match what's on the general ledger, Chris & I worked on this together and..."
Me: "Hold up....I did NOT work on this with you....I only showed you where the data was stored on the network....this report is all on you".
We worked together in that department for about 2 years, and in the early part of that time period, you could just smell the hatred we had for each other...but things improved over time & we actually got along towards the end of the 2nd year...

We both transferred out of that department and haven't seen or spoken to each other since 2004.....that is, until this past July....she was attending a meeting here at the Corp offices, and we ran into each other in the cafeteria. We chatted for a bit & basically lied through our teeth: "it's great to see you".... "if I knew you worked in this office, I would have set up a lunch date" ....blah, blah, blah...Yeah, we're both BS'ers...

So now, I'm still considering applying for this job, despite knowing what her character is (was?) like....I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here & assuming that she's had time to grow up...but I dunno...I just can't get my arse off the fence yet...something's holding me back from hitting the "submit" button...homo intuition?

The truth of the matter is this: I'm so desperate to get the hell out of my current position that I'm starting to go against my better judgement...[sigh...]

What say You, Peanut Gallery?

13 comments:

Jim said...

Would she now be your boss? The type of behavior she showed doesn't go away quickly.

I say your gut instinct is right.

Charlie said...

Presuming she will not be your boss, I'm not sure you have much to lose by applying.

Steven said...

Don't be a pussy and apply for the damn job.

The only thing you'll waste is time by applying for it, and if you get it, try to stay far away from her (or get ready for a Krystle-Alexis catfight on the spot).

Christopher said...

Jim & Charlie: yeah, she would be my direct boss and that's what has me saying: "hmmm...."

Steven: thanks for keeping it real with me...and I'm Alexis, right?

Lewis said...

I'm sort of with Steven....go for it. Having said that, if she is your direct boss, hum.....I'd have questions too. But I think I'd be the bigger man and go for it. She'll be gone someday, with anyluck. And you'll still be in a nice job.

Lewis said...

Hey, I just ran across this at another site.....it sounded like it was just for you! Enjoy.

http://gaytwogether.typepad.com/gaytwogether/2007/09/quotes-quips--1.html

franck said...

Applying doesn't mean you'll get it. Apply first, then decide whether or not to take it, if you get offered it.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Well, you don't make it completely clear - is she responsible for hiring you, OR would you be working with her (or both)? Ultimately though, I think I'd go for it anyway - just be ready to find out she is still a bitch who acts like a 5 year old. You can't make your life revolve around this kind of thing. It's pride that is keeping you from hitting that "apply to job" button - she'll immediately have some degree of power over your future, and you no likey that. ;-)

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

You know what - if she'll be your DIRECT boss, consider it carefully - do you want to deal EVERY DAY? I've had bitch direct bosses (male and female), and it's WAY not fun. It becomes more about saving your ass or nailing theirs than it does about the job.

Greg said...

If you need to get out of your current job, then get out by any means. Just do jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Eric said...

You have to apply. If not, you'll be the only one to lose...even if you don't get it.
You know the whole blah blah analogies and all that, but do it.

Big Daddy said...

I'd go with the apply, but wait and see if you get it first before deciding to take it.

In the interview you should be able to see if she has matured.

If she hasn't, just make sure you hold your ground and stand up to her.

Bruce said...

DON'T DO IT!!! You have no respect for her and you don't trust her, hell you don't even like her. If you think working for her will be pleasant, think again. Something else will come up, stay away from this woman.