Monday, February 25, 2008

I Love Butter !

The weekend flew by waaayyy too fast, and now I'm feeling a little cheated as I type up this post inside my 3 walled prison.

On Saturday, I had dinner with my long-lost-recently-found-high-school-best-friend, Paul. Honestly, I wasn't expecting for Paul to contact me after I just showed up at his office without any warning, but he did. Actually his wife called me to ask if I'd be interested in going to dinner with them & their 2 kids. Dinner was at Gladstone's in Long Beach, and I have to recommend the "clam bake for 2" dinner (lobster, crab, shrimp, clams, and butter....oh my!!).

It's funny, how after not seeing each other for over 20 years, it felt like we just picked up from where we left off. We were both surprised by how many memories that we still had, but needed to seriously edit ourselves, as our kids were listening to the adventures of our somewhat misguided youth.

Paul's 3 kids are all under 6 years old, and when the birthday boy, at the table next to us, got a GIANT martini glass filled with blue cotton candy, all they could do was stare (I was staring too). So I took the embarrassment & lied to our waitress, telling her that it was my birthday too...at least I got a pinch of the cotton candy before it disappeared.

We've already made plans for another dinner in a few weeks, and his wife (who's tres cool) asked me if I could please get him out of the house & take him drinking every once in awhile. I'm so happy that I've reconnected with my friend...God bless the Power of the Internet!

13 comments:

Lewis said...

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your reuniting. I've got a friend that I've known since 6th grade....and we're on that same path. Soon!

Big Daddy said...

How awesome!

H. Alan Scott said...

im jealous, that sounds like such a great time. the oldest friend i have i've known for ten years. most of my childhood friends have been lost to time. BUT, some have found me on myspace, so that's awesome. i can't remember them, but at least i made enough of an impression on them. :-)

jason said...

how cool!

franck said...

I'm not sure what to think of a wife who begs a gay man to take her husband out drinking...

cb said...

That's cool! I'm glad it turned out well for you, because when you originally posted about going on the impromptu 'visit' I was thinking your new blog title should be "stalkervision".

But glad things are good.

Greg said...

That's very cool, Chris!

Mark in DE said...

Yeah, its kinda surprising you heard from Paul (or, his wife). When you described your initial reconnection he sounded tentative. Glad you had a good time!

Mark :-)

T Unit said...

Yay! I am so glad that you were really able to reconnect with your old friend.
Take him drinking and then let her find him in a puddle of vomit in their front yard with his pants half off. Do it up Animal House style.

RAD Homo said...

Awesome...I still have a handful of freinds both straight and gay that I keep in contact with and its always a blast to see each other every now and then-- there are a few that I am still trying to locate..The Internet rocks huh!

Gooster said...

That's the way it is with old friends, that is why you were and still are friends. Good luck and have fun!

dailybriefing said...

glad that's working out.

D-Man said...

I'm glad it worked out, cuz you didn't sound so sure b4...