Friday, March 7, 2008

To Kill a Mockingbird


Last night, I went to bed in a cloud of Pinot Grigio tipsy-ness. Blessed sleep was sure to come quickly...and it did, but it just didn't last long.

About this time each year, a mockingbird flys back home (to the same Magnolia tree across the street from my house). He started showing off his skills (that's "skillz" to you Rey-Rey) just as I was drifting off to the land of sleep. Yes, I am impressed with how many different bird calls this little f*cker can do, but No, I am not amused at the hour he chooses to do it.

Why do these birds sing only at night (LATE at night) & what are they trying to do...attract other birds. Hasn't evolution taught these creatures by now that other birds are sleeping during their performances?

I was tempted (thanks to the influence of the wine) to scare it out of the tree, but I remembered how he was fearlessly dive bombing a cat sitting in the shade of "his" tree earlier in the day and thought otherwise...that, and the fact that no one needs to see what I look like at bed time...the hair net/mud mask/onesie pajamas combo is a little startling.

Eventually, I was able to fall asleep...whilst fantasies of shooting the bastard with a BB gun danced through my head.
...

10 comments:

Mark in DE said...

If isn't one thing, its another!

Mark :-)

Alex said...

Thanks Chris. I am going to have some fun. I deserve it I think :) Hope all is well with you.

Ken in MS said...

Now that's funny. But be thankful you don't live here in Mississippi, that damn mockingbird is our state bird! Of course, there's a lot of guns here, too!!!

And the picture of your bedtime ensemble had me laughing out loud.

D-Man said...

Oh God, when Troy and I were on vacation a few years ago, one of those perched right outside the bedroom window for two nights...

It was awful. But they are talented little buggers, no?

Perhaps it was one of your neighbors with a recording, just so he COULD see your beddie-bye outfit?

WAT said...

So those are the birds I hear sometimes going off at night huh? Wow, thanks for this simple yet enlightening post.

They do sound kind of creepy chirping away at night like that.

Eric said...

Ah, mockingbirds. My yard growing up was full of them. The bluejays would eat their eggs and that's when the mockingbird would let out with some truly said birdcalls.

jason said...

I can empathize. I have them myself.
But don't you know, it's awful bad luck?

franck said...

Two words: ear plugs. They'll go really well with the rest of your nocturnal attire

cb said...

Scout, its a sin to kill a mockingbird.

I will miss the mockingbirds in North Carolina. There they sang during the day and early evening... so lovely.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Nothing makes me more homicidal than having my sleep interrupted! You poor guy...