Monday, April 14, 2008

Hot Child In The City

The weather in L.A. this weekend was unusually summer-like...Temps soared into the mid 90's, and I melted into a puddle of salty water...I'm really not a "summer person", so I spent most of Saturday bitching-n-moaning. The trick to keeping your house cool is to close all of the windows, doors, and curtains/blinds. I hate doing this. When I'm at home, I love to have everything opened up. It's a Long Beach thang...really it is. I love walking my neighborhood and being able to peek into my neighbor's homes, you know, to see who has the best home entertainment system, who's made yet another decorating mistake, who's walking around the house naked...yeah, I'm nosey like that.

The heat turns me into a cranky bastard. For example, I did a little grocery shopping Saturday afternoon, and as I was walking back to my car, I noticed a bum in the parking lot begging for a money. I stealthily made my way back to my car, unnoticed...or so I thought. As I was loading the groceries into the back of my car, I hear a sheepish voice behind me begging my pardon. [...F*ck!...now I have to deal with this mess] I turned around and cut the guy off saying: "I can't help you out", then went back to loading the bags. This pisses the homestead-challenged guy off and he shouts at me: "God Bless You, Sir!".....ok, now I'm pissed off....how dare he call me "sir"!! Why is that bums always use "God Bless You" as a guilt trip? Did he think that I was going to change my mind after hearing that and offer him a twenty? What it really made me want to do was to pitch him into the back of his shopping cart and push it into oncoming traffic...I'm kidding, such a kidder this one!

I escaped my hot house Saturday night by going to see...Run Fat Boy Run. It's a silly & fun movie (with a couple of touching moments...sniff sniff!)) starring one of my new favorite comedic actors, Simon Pegg (from Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz fame). The only disappointment in this movie was that Nick Frost, Simon's frequent costar (and real life best friend) wasn't in the movie. My favorite line from the movie is: "I'm not fat, I'm unfit"....Oh, how I can relate to that!

It's cooled down a little bit today...today's high temperatures are in the low 80's....and tomorrow it's only supposed reach the high 60's...now, that's my kind of weather!

...

14 comments:

Big Daddy said...

We're getting snow and rain Weds. and Thursday.

Totally not cool.

Lewis said...

Oh, you and me both on the "heat turns me into a cranky bastard" deal. I cannot deal with the heat.

"Just David!" said...

i thought the movie was great... and personally, i love the heat but i live in texas so i've acclimated...

Wonder Man said...

Simon is great in any movie, nice read btw

Jim said...

You know I worship the heat. Besides the whole "closed house" trick another great way to keep it cool is air conditioning. Gonna' have to get me some of that one year...

Christopher said...

God bless you, sir!

cb said...

I'm unfit TOO!

Darth Gateau said...

They showed "Hot Fuzz" and "Run Fat Boy Run" in California? Wow! I'm surprised.

Hey. When are you visiting Blighty? The temperatures here very rarely squeeze over 'frozen-to-the-marrow' so you'd be fine strolling about ol' London town.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Let's switch- I LOVE the heat! It was 78 degrees here in Seattle on Saturday and not hot enough for me! I hate the cool and the rain. So what the hell am I doing in Seattle and you in LA/LB?

franck said...

I'm Some from Some Like It Hot.

Christopher said...

BD: what's snow?

Lewis: I'm already looking forward to autumn.

David: I thought you were in Seattle (???)

Wonder Man: I'm oddly attracted to him...he's got nice legs.

Jim: I dream of A/C !

Chris: That's it...we're not making out now!

cb: It's only a temporary condition!

Darth: sounds like heaven...I arrive in London on May 3rd and leave May 7th, for Paris...there until the 11th...I can't wait!!

JDZS: Don't tempt me!

Franck: Hot men yes...hot weather, no thanks.

Hamilton said...

Run Fat boy Run is another main reason why New Line Cinema needs to be merged with Warner Brother ASAP for the sake of the shareholders.. and executive compensations. lol I am totally not judging the movie's content. I am just saying how this realistic outcome of movies like this has on the business :p

Mark in DE said...

I hate to tell you, but you live in the wrong place for the weather you enjoy.

Mark :-)

dailybriefing said...

ok, god bless you ma'am.