Friday, May 23, 2008

Strange Fruit

For years, Japanese consumers have struggled to fit watermelons into their refrigerators. Japanese farmers have recently solved the problem:

Square Watermelons!



Clever farmers insert the melons into square, tempered glass cases while the fruit is still growing on the vine. Today the watermelons are hand-picked and sadly, only available in Japan....but I guess that's a good thing as these bad boys are expensive....Each melon sells for 10,000 yen, that's equivalent to about $83.



I swear, the Japanese are the most innovative people in the world!


Hai !

10 comments:

Wonder Man said...

Well of course they are, they created Monchichis

Greg said...

Hmm.... part of the fun of watermelons is the curve. Easier to eat all of it down to the rind. I don't like corners on my fruit.

dit said...

Odd, yet beautiful!

Romach said...

We have always said they are the most innovative too! I like all things Japanese!

Lewis said...

Is this thing for real? But you still can't put a square watermelon into a round hole.

Louis et Quentin said...

Hello !we love your blog ! i have a blog with my boyfriend :

http://vilainsboys.blogspot.com

Do you like it ?

Louis et Quentin ( french boy )

franck said...

Excellent. Now we just need to wait for pyramid-shaped strawberries and self-peeling apples

"Just David!" said...

brilliant!

cb said...

I'm not a fan of watermelon at all... and seeing it all squarified just makes it less so.

Michael Guy said...

NOTE TO LEWIS: God knows I bet you've tried.

ahem. :)

I dunno. I sorta need a pair of these for brunch table balance. It's all about aesthetics, you know...