Thursday, June 12, 2008

Workplace Rant #534

I just got back from lunch (at La Barca Jalisco in Pico Rivera) with an ex-coworker. For real: the Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo (Shrimp in garlic sauce) was the best I've ever had.

Anyhoo....it was great to catch up with an old friend that I haven't seen in awhile. All that lunch time reminiscing got me missing my previous work group. They were such a fun, hardworking & diverse group. There was always a reason to throw together a last minute potluck with that lot, and I secretly blame them for my weight gain, but let's not hold any grudges.

My current work group couldn't be any more different than my old group. Now I have to put up with people who back stab, are gossipy, and brown nose. There are a few other habits that some of my current coworkers exhibit that have been working my nerves. For example (btw, all of the following have happened this week and almost every other week for that matter):

There's one lady that thinks it's ok to talk to you (loudly) with food in their mouth. A French fry almost landed on my lap one day when this beast got a little too excited.

Maybe I'm being too American with this next gripe, but I likes me personal space. Actually, I think 18 inches of air space between my lips and yours really isn't too much to ask for, right? I do NOT enjoy an unattractive female coworker standing so close to me (sitting in my chair) that she could easily dry hump my knee...back the f*ck up!

Hello, hello, hello, hello, hello.....When someone calls your phone and you hear nothing but dead air, why must you say "hello" over and over, and over, ad nauseum. Hang the phone up and guess what? they'll call back stupid! Two people in my group are guilty of this crime.

Lastly, there is a man in our group that likes to sneeze/cough/hack up the inner lining of his lungs, without covering his mouth. I swear he sneezed in my cubicle once, with his head turned to the side and yes, his mouth was uncovered...have you ever seen what a sneeze looks like with all of those tiny particles flying out at a million miles per hour? I have... and some of those particles even landed on my whiteboard. God Bless, indeed.

Am I being a whiny, bitter, little bitch who's still angry for not getting that job I interviewed for, who feels the need to vent via hate filled blog posts and run-on sentences....YES...but I'm owning it.

Maybe during my next job interview, when I get asked what's the reason you're looking to transfer, I'll just point them to this here post.

12 comments:

Lewis said...

I'm still trying to get past the fact that you don't want any less than 18" between you and my lips.

Christopher said...

Lewis: That 18" rule only applys to coworkers that do not make me tingle down below...pucker up baby!

dit said...

Are you certain we do not work in the same office? I have a co-worker who when telling me anything about a project insists on standing on top of my feet. I could go on for days. The biggest frustration is that my boss sees me not as an asset. But a competition. Can not look me in the eye. Great post and hang in there. This economy has to pick up at some point. lol

jason said...

Sorry about that job.

(the one you didn't get...and even moreso the one you have.)
Yikes.

I'm with you with the personal space. *Absolutely* necessary.

Robert said...

Those aren't TOO bad... Let's see, at my work, there are people who clip their finger nails to no end at their desks [ugh], and there's this one girl who eats like a pig at her desk [sweetest girl, but seriously, she eats like 10 times a day yet skinny as a rail! WTF!?!], and wipes her greasy hands ALL over both sides of her chair every friggin' time. One coworker said she's gonna this girl's cubicle on fire one evening cuz it reeks of bad ass food! Oh and lastly I've actually seen a guy spat in his garbage can! Can't top this one!

Oops, now you got me ranting. :-) Sorry to hear that you didn't get the position. Next time honey! Something even better will come along!

Romach said...

Hey buddy your not griping over nothing at all. I hate those things you have mentioned. I used to hate co workers talking to me right in my face also. I cringed when co workers done that. One girls breathe was so bad she could scorch the furniture. My eyes were seeping. One day I couldn't stand it any longer and I said to her really loudly and abruptly 'I am sorry but you smell, can you stand way from me please '. She didn't even look embarrassed, she just stepped back and replied 'I know' and kept on talking. ARRRhhhhhhh! I lived to tell the tale. Just!

Doghigh said...

"A French fry almost landed on my lap one day when this beast got a little too excited."

My favorite blog sentence of the week.

adriel said...

Tag, you're it. adriel.com

Mark in DE said...

I do NOT think you're being whiny or bitchy at all. Your points are all completely valid, and I agree with the 18" rule.

Good luck with your next interview.

Mark :-)

cb said...

Heck, I do ALL those bad habits. Can I share a cube with you??

Hello? Hello hello hello hello hello...

"Just David!" said...

you need to be a little more up front at work... like..."didn't your mother ever teach you it's not polite to chew with your mouth open?" and "you're invading my aura, could you please step back", while extending your hand to make the point... and lastly, to sneezy, tell him that unless he covers his mouth in the future he's no longer aloud to be in your cubicle, tell him you have a howard hughesish obsession with germs... just be blunt, you'd be amazed how putting up a few boundaries with people really helps them out!! they just don't know any better, you'd be doing them a favor!!!

Sharanya said...

hahaha! This reaheally made me laugh!! Especially coz i agree, i dislike at least three of those habits!!
I solemnly swear that i hold my breath for at least thirty seconds after someone sneezes. Is that weird? i dont care!! doesn't stop me...