Wednesday, July 9, 2008

* It's Chris, Bitch ! *

As soon as I got to my desk this morning, my boss informed me & my coworkers that we were having an impromptu meeting "in five"...great, just what I needed to get my day going. It was at this meeting that we got to meet our summer intern. His name is also Chris. He made a very good 1st impression. He's smart as hell, witty, and he made me LOL when he turned down the boss' public offer to take him out to lunch "with his new family" today...apparently he had a better offer.

During the meeting, my coworkers thought that it'd be a good idea to give me a knick name to avoid any confusion with the intern ...how lame, no? I kept asking if it was really necessary, and their collective answer was yes. So, after countless suggestions and against my approval, I'm going to be referred to as "Topher". I don't mind being called that by people that I actually like (and quite a few people do), but for some reason, it really bugs me hearing "these people" call me that. Someone in the group said to me: "awww, come on Topher, don't make that face...you gotta be more of a team player".....[Huh?]

We'll see how long this knick name will last. I already made it clear that I wasn't going to respond to "Topher". To prove my point, when a coworker rang me up and said "Hey Topher, can you help me out with a spreadsheet problem?" I replied with "Sorry, there's no one here by that name"...and hung up.

I am so not a team player.

...

19 comments:

Shirley Heezgay! said...

near as i can tell, if anyone gets a nickname, it's the new guy.

forget that shit.

Jim said...

I second that, new guy gets nicknamed. He can go by "new Chris".

Or if they insist it be you, you should just shorten your name to Christ.

DO NOT SURRENDER.

Wonder Man said...

I hate nicknames, so I would hate for someone to do that to me

Romach said...

I hate nick names too. But the new guy should have definitely gotten then nick name. I have loads of nice names I would call you or whisper in your name if you would let me ;-) *swoon*

Kris said...

Lol for hanging up on your coworker :P

That's odd. If anybody would have gotten a nickname, it's usually the new guy. Only one guy in my whole life called me Topher. It's funny how when I was in the Philippines, everybody either called me De, or my last name since it can be a first name. Then moved to the US, and is now called Kris. It took a little getting used to....

Christopher said...

Wow. I hate your co-workers already.

Southern Boy said...

I second the "Christ" nickname. Or, better yet, why don't you suggest that you be called, "my god, my god it's so big!?!?!"

"Just David!" said...

May I suggest Sparky?

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Two of the shittiest words in human history: TEAM PLAYER!

Doghigh said...

Good lord I've never subscribed to the corporate "team player" nonsense. They get me here in the morning and keep me here almost until it is time to leave. That's enough team spirit as far as I'm concerned.

Tell them to call the new guy "Beatrice" and leave your name alone.

Mark in DE said...

At one time I worked in a horseshoe shaped cubicle farm with a pretty nice group of co-workers who one day got the idea we should all have nick names. Most picked variations of their given names (Margie for Margaret, etc.) Since I HATE the nick name Marky, I simply informed them that if they felt the need to call me by a nick name, to please call me Spike.

They just called me Mark.

Mark :-)

dit said...

hmm, shouldn't the new guy be subjected to change his name? On the other hand, I've been called much worse. I actually think Topher is a very cute name.

Actually, a similar thing happened to me once. I went to work in an office where there were more than one David. The other David was an older gentleman who was a little heavy. He called himself Heavy-D and I was D-lite. I still laugh about that today.

Christian said...

One of you can be the Hot Chris.

RAD said...

love it! Come up with a nickname they wont like to use..that may work....

Chris said...

Wow. That intern must have some pull if they made you change your name.

If anything, the intern should be reduced to just "The Intern" and have his name completely taken away.

cb said...

Geez Topher- are you having a case of the Mondays???

cb said...

Yeah, you should get first choice on the whole name thing. But look at it this way: only people who are liked get nicknames. If you are just some schlub, noboby nicknames you (unless its mean and behind your back).

I've never been given a nickname.

Michael Guy said...

"Topher?" That is a random office shooting spree waiting to happen.

And by the comments voiced here a jury of your peers would not convict. Just saying.

Misster Kitty said...

a) NEW guy gets called Chrissy
b) I think we were separated at birth cause I'd have done the same thing!