Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Duck Whisperer

At my workplace, we have a courtyard that has a large, shallow pool with a fountain in the middle of it. Since I've been working here (2002) there has been a pair of ducks that stop by, whenever they want to get away from all of the other ducks and get their swim on.

I haven't seen the ducks for about a month now...that is, until this afternoon. As I was walking past the pool, I saw the female sitting on the pool's ledge getting her some sun...the male must've been out whoring about, as he often does.

As I walked past her, she quacked at me, jumped off the ledge and started to follow me. [I shit you not]...then I noticed that she had some fishing line caught in her bill/nostril along with a floater ball that was hanging on the side of her bill. I stopped walking, but she kept walking right up to me, and when she was about 2 feet away from me, she sat down...still quacking (I'm guessing that the ducks are so tame thanks to some of the employees feeding them).

Luckily, I speak Duckese, and she was saying to me: "Get this shit off of me"...and even luckier, I had a pair of nail clippers in my purse messenger bag. I took my chances and slowly bent down towards her bill (with clippers shaking in hand). She just sat there and let me get close enough to snip off the longest part of the fishing line that had the ball hanging off of it....and then....she tried to bite me...what an ingrate!

Poor thing still has a bit of line wrapped around her upper bill and going through her nostril, but I did my good deed for the day...now I'm waiting for Karma to return the favor....preferrably in the form of a cash windfall.

8 comments:

Jim said...

You already know that you're going to have to rub your brother's Buddah's belly for that cash.

Romach said...

How sweet are you. I love people who help little animals like that :-)

Greg said...

If she's there again in the next few days, maybe you should call animal control. They can probably get the fishing line our of her bill and then release her back to the wilds of Long Beach.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

I think what she was trying to say was, "Does this make me look fat?"

You ruined her new nose ring. That's why Duckqueta tried to bite you.

Scot said...

I think nthe fishing line was an attemt to "shut the duck up." Guess it didn't work

Anthony said...

An ingrate indeed! Sounds more like a typical woman to me ;-)

Michael Guy said...

Dr. Dolittle LIVES!!! Very sweet of you to help out a friend.

How was the pate later?