Monday, August 25, 2008

Tecktonik

Lately, I've been shaking my groove thang to the following song...it's "A Cause de Garcons" by Yelle and the dancers in the video are dancing Tecktonik style.

Tecktonik is a form of dance that's basically a blend of hip-hop, techno, glow sticking, and Vogueing. It started in the dance clubs of Paris, around the year 2000. Metropolis is the dance club that's often cited as the birthplace.

When I was in Paris this past May, I actually saw a group of kids Tecktonik dancing in a plaza (battling each other), but I thought that they were just "butch" Vogueing...me so ignorant!

I hear that some 50 year-old pop star (with scary looking hands), who just kicked off her tour, is actually Tecktonik dancing to one of her songs...my guess is either "Nobody Knows Me" or a revamped version (again) of "Vogue".

Oh, and I've been Tecktonik dancing for years, but never knew it...all it takes is a few drinky-drinks in me and I start to get my Drunk Crunk Tecktonik on.


7 comments:

cb said...

dude, I INVENTED this shit back in the 90's-- when I started hitting the gay clubs

Big Daddy said...

Madge the Vadge co-opting something from the subculture to exploit it, again.

Romach said...

Shake your groove thang baby. I too lossed myself in music like this during the 90s. I was a right little goer at one time dancing on podiums etc! :-) I would like to see you dancing to this tune ;-)

Michael Guy said...

Toss on some Mary J. Blige and let's get crunking, Christopher!

I'm assuming hip replacement surgery would also be on my 'to do' list. Just saying.

jason said...

"butch voguing." Pretty good description there.

No wonder Madonna and her ripped arms are all into it now.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

You can bash Madonna on YOUR blog (though I reserve the right to revoke your gay card), but NEVER on my blog, mister! The day you are as brilliant at marketing as Madge is the day you'll be worth $350 million and have had a 25+ year uber successful career. ;-) Until then, shut it! *WINK*

Fancy Pants said...

my dancing has a name and it's not O-S-C-A . . .

Wow. And to think that people make fun of me. Thanks for securing my self-identity mister, much appreciated.