Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Stop the Hate...No on 8 !!

......


Over the last couple of weeks, I've been noticing (in the L.A. area) an increase in the number of bumper stickers & lawn signs in support of Prop 8. It really saddens me to see the number of people who are willing to publicly announce that:

- They are proud to display/declare their homophobia.
- They were brought up in a home where ignorance and close mindedness were taught.
- They are continuing this sick cycle in their own homes & with their own children.
- They truly don't understand how wrong the idea is to take away someone's fundamental rights, based on their sexual orientation.
...
Their "battle cry" really turns my stomach:

"Restoring Marriage & Protecting Children"

The first part of that is misleading...the institution of "marriage" has not collapsed...hetero couples can still get married... how have any of the same-sex marriages that have already happened affected anyone negatively?

What supporters of Prop 8 really mean is restoring the definition of what marriage used to be in California ...well, what's next: "Restoring Segregation"? Discrimination is discrimination....and protecting children from what? from the truth? from the fact that , YES, there are gay people in this world that do fall in love and wish to marry each other? Are we all living in Iran?

I am simply embarrassed by those who support Prop 8...We live in a country that is considered to be a world power...yet we still have a large population of primitive thinking individuals who believe that there is nothing wrong with discrimination.

Vote No on Prop 8 !
......

9 comments:

Leonardo D'Cato said...

You know what, I've been seeing a lot of "Yes on 8" bumper stickers up here in NorCal. I was surprise, I mean it's San Francisco for crying out loud! I've actually seen homes with "Yes on 8" on their lawns. Scary.

Victor said...

It's not only your country where intolerance rules. We are still struggling for equality in Australia too.

Jim said...

I just hope that Prop 8 fails and we can tell them all that Jesus answered their prayers, just not with the answer they hoped for.

franck said...

You're obviously preaching to the choir here, but I don't get the Yes on 8 crowd either.

They're scaring people with all sorts of stuff, including child prostitution, broken families and lots more bad stuff. Bad stuff that has been around for decades. Decades, by the way, before gay marriage existed.

cb said...

well, let's hope that it doesn't pass.

Christian said...

I can't agree more.... I really hope it doesn't pass but I am scared...

WAT said...

That neighbor of mine put up a new YES ON 8 sign, after someone else helped me tear the first one down. What a loser! It would so please me to see that proposition go down in flames so I can go knock on their door or leave a note saying, YOU LOST, EQUALITY WON TODAY!

I won't hold my breath though.

Patsy said...

It's the part about gay couples adopting kids that freaks otherwise non-homophobic people out.

Chris said...

It's funny how they're so scared "for the children," but anytime you hear of child abuse, it's in a STRAIGHT household. Nixmary Brown anyone?