Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious

...
During my morning commute to work, I was listening to NPR on the radio. I like listening to this station because it makes me feel well informed and kinda smart. Except for today. So many of the segments had reporters using really big words that made my head hurt. Then I became angry.

I was listening to this Smarty Pants commentator going on about how if you are a rich bastard have not been affected financially by the current recession, then you're not doing the U.S. economy any good by pinching pennies...instead, you should be out shopping right now. The Scrooge in me has a tough time swallowing (don't go there) this, but I see his point...kind of.

Anyhoo, he used a phrase ["the ethos of austerity it produces can trap us in the doldrums"] that made me roll my eyes, flip off my radio, and literally YOL (Yell Out Loud): "Who actually talks like that?!". Apparently, not me. I do know what each of those words means, but I'd never be able to string together a phrase like that, without first consulting someone from 1888.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a dictionary to read.
...

6 comments:

the replicant said...

I bet he says that phrase to himself in the mirror every morning.

cb said...

Sesquipedalian reporters who pull out Brobdingnagian aphorisms should be cockpunched.

Silly Billy said...

Clearly it was a script.

dit said...

I agree, that was scripted to make people feel inadequate.

Mark in DE said...

While I usually agree with the super-left tendancies of NPR, I also find myself occasionally distanced by their bordering on elitism.

Jules said...

Huh? wtf. I have no idea what that means either. At least you're not the only one!