Tuesday, June 23, 2009

An Ikea Experience


A few weeks back, I bought a pair of chairs at I kea that were marked down from $89 to $30 each. Along with the chairs,I bought a few extra things too. When I was in line to pay, I did the math in my head, so I had a rough estimate of how much money I was about to lose. Now, I've got math skills, so when the cashier gave me the total, I was a little surprised that I was off by about $30.

When I got in my car, I scanned the receipt and noticed that the cashier was kind enough to give me one of the chairs for free ....How sweet, no? Well, once I got home, I noticed that the chairs I had bought were the wrong finish. I wanted the brown-black finish, but I ended up getting the pine finish for both chairs. Damn, I hate returning crap! Karma is such a bitch!

The following weekend, I went back to exchange the chairs in the finish that I wanted. I ended up arguing with the return counter guy and then his manager over the exchange. The problem was that they would only let me exchange for the proper finish if I agreed to pay the difference, since the sale price is no longer in effect. WTF???!!! Here's a snippet of the convo between me & and the manger:

Manager: I'm sorry that YOU chose the wrong finish...there was an employee
standing on the floor handing out the chairs to the customers.

Fabulous Me: Yes, I know....I asked him to give me 2 of the brown-black finish chairs and he ended up giving me the wrong finish.

Now repeat those 2 lines for the next 5 minutes and you'll get our entire conversation. What ended up happening was that they gave me store credit for the 2 chairs. I was handed a gift card for a little over $60, but I didn't buy the chairs at $89 each.

Half way through the argument with the manager, a little voice, in the back of my head spoke up and said: "shut the hell up...you're about to be given $60, and you only shelled out $30....remember, you got one of those chairs for free..."

But, it wasn't about making a profit of $30. I was fighting for the principle of the matter. The manager was basically calling me a liar and saying that I just chose 2 chairs myself, without the help of the employee handing out the chairs. Which isn't what happened at all.

Anyhoo... I took that gift card and I ended up buying a whole lot more Swedish crap. Take that, IKEA!

5 comments:

Robert said...

You could've done one of those even changes without a receipt?!?

Ikea: Love them or hate them I guess.

Jim said...

I was at IKEA this morning. I Was buying a shelving unit in the black/brown finish. There were other things I could add to the shelving unit like doors or drawers... but I couldn't find any with the same finish. When did IKEA stop printing the color on the box?

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND THE FINISH ON THE BOX.

At the checkout, I asked them to confirm that I had the proper finish. The cashier had to stop, take out a large binder and search for the number on the box to fins out what finish it was. Slowed the whole line down to a standstill.

VERY BAD IKEA, but apparently very smart me to check.

jason said...

Too bad I couldn't have gotten my mother on the job for you, she's relentless when it comes to returns.

Jules said...

BA-BOOM!! Well done, Topher!

Anonymous said...

Cubic zirconias are the best choice for thomas sabo those of you who doesn't thomas sabo charms want to spend too much money on thomas sabo jewellery buying a diamond engagement ring but still want something that looks almost identical. thomas sabo charms sale Let's face it, wouldn't it make more sabo charms sense to save the money for a new car instead? cheap thomas sabo charms With cubic zirconia's, the only way to tell the difference between it and a thomas sabo jewellry diamond is to get a professional jeweler to have a look at it. discount thomas sabo charms To untrained eye, it looks just the same. thomas sabo sale charms The other advantage to zirconia's is that you can choose from a range of colors, and pick the most suitable color of stone for the engagement ring.