Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vampires, Gods & Monsters

I've been reading on some websites today that Robert Downey Jr. is in talks with Universal to play the Bi-Sesual Vampire, Lestat de Lioncourt, in another installment of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles. I loves me a good vampire movie, and I am a fan of Anne Rice's work, so bring it!

Sidebar: Is it just me, or does anyone else get a gay vibe from Mr Downey? Ever since I saw him in Less Than Zero (a big time favorite of mine), I thought that there was a very good chance that he may be g-a-y....but not just because of what he does in that movie to score some dope, but more because of other clues that I've sniffed over the years.

Whatever his sexual preference may be, I'm truly happy that RDJ's career is alive & kicking.



This past weekend, I finally got the chance to see the movie Gods & Monsters, starring Sir Ian McKellan & Brendan Fraser. The movie is from 1998 (yeah, I know), and after watching the movie, I started to wonder: did Gandalf, I mean Ian McKellan ever NOT look old? I actually think he looks older in this movie than he does today (I'm guessing that it's due to the power of makeup)...On the serious tip, if you haven't seen this movie yet, you need to check it out!

Here's a synopsis:

The story of James Whale, the director of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, in the time period following the Korean War. Whale is homosexual and develops a friendship with his gardener, an ex-Marine. Set in 1957, James Whale, had long since stepped back from the glamor and glitz of Hollywood. A stroke triggers once buried flashes of memory of his life in Dudley, his film career, and, most influentially, the trenches during the Great War. Haunted and lonely, he recounts many of his experiences to his muscle-bound gardener, Clay Boone. Despite the divide that exists between them, their friendship develops. Reliant on his sternly disapproving housemaid, Hannah, the flamboyant director whose time has passed sees himself slipping away, unable to stop the decline, and indulges his fantasies by coaxing Boone to model for him.

4 comments:

Michael Guy said...

LOVED "Gods & Monsters" except for a few freak-y moments. YOU know the ones...

How hot was Brendan in that movie? Yowsah!

cb said...

To me, mr Downey Jr looks as if he would smell of gin and vicodin.

Jonasy said...

Well, I always thought RDJ is sexy.

Mark in DE said...

Yes, they definitely used make-up to age Ian McKellan for "Gods & Monsters", a great film. Brendan Frazier was dreamy gorgeous, and rather brilliant as an actor in this role.