Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ten Years

Today is the 10th anniversary of the day that my oldest daughter, Lauren, was diagnosed with diabetes. She was only 8 years old when the diagnosis was made.

I remember that ugly day so clearly. I had just started a crappy accounting job with a food distributor. When I got the call that Lauren was being admitted into the hospital, I told my boss why I needed to leave. She asked me (with a look of disgust) how long I was going to be gone for. I should've quit on the spot, but I gave that witch 3 more weeks before I finally quit (with a 4 hour notice).

I drove to the hospital, fighting back emotions and choking down tears. Her mother & I didn't want to show any signs of panic or fear, since diabetes is something an 8-year old really doesn't comprehend.

When I walked into that hospital room and saw my little one sitting on that bed, drowning in a sea of blankets, I just froze in the doorway. She smiled at me, and in her little voice, said "Hi Daddy"....beaming at me with that same smile that I still catch glimpses of today.

I bent over to hug her, but instead, fell on top of her and just lost it. I began to cry uncontrollably.

I cried for all of the birthday cakes she would be denied, for all of the needles she would come to know, for all of the life adjustments she would have to make, but mostly I cried for this Innocent having to suffer this damn disease for the rest of her life. Her mother had to stand me up and remind me that I was going to scare Lauren if I didn't get a hold of myself.

We know that diabetes is NOT a death sentence, and Lauren is very much in control of this disease and not the other way round...and that is exactly why every year, on this date, we celebrate Lauren kicking diabetes in the ass.

Happy (kicking) Diabetes (in the ass) Day, Baby!

Daddy is so damn proud of You!

9 comments:

A Lewis said...

It's quite clear how much you love her.....I'm amazed that these sorts of screwed-up days are indelibly etched into our memories forever. I think she's one lucky young lady to have you for a father.

Meeko Fabulous said...

Congratulations to your dear little one. Kids are tougher than we give them credit for, aren't they?

Robert said...

I love this. Wishing you all, a long, happy and healthy life together!!

PS. Now I feel really bad about the milk shake and donut comment! doh! :-)

Michael Guy said...

Thanks for sharing this; truly poignant. She's got a great dad, for sure...

Bruce said...

Christopher,

My twin brother has been insulin dependent for 34 years. So far he has shown no major affects from the disease, his eye doctor even made the comment that if he had not told him he was a diabetic, he would have not been able to tell by his eye exam. It can be controled and with medical technology it gets better every year. Good luck to her in managing the disease and good for you for the love and support you show her daily.

Jules said...

WOW! That's a wonderful little dedication!! Congrats to Lauren! Incidentally... did I ever tell you that had Nathan been a girl, his name would have been Lauren! Nice choice!

Greg said...

Congrats to Lauren!

cb said...

I always forget you are one of those gay breeder types.

it must have been so scary and awful that day. I'm glad she is doing great now!!

gaohui said...

Davidson garment is a quintessential Harley abercrombie Outlet davidson item, especially if you feature ones Harley decked abercrombie and fitch over. Featuring the whole distinctive line of leather abercrombie sale jackets, t-shirts, buckles, hats, belts, boots abercrombie & fitch and helmets, feeling of guilt reason this is abercrombie not to accessorize to max.A decent buy Harley enthusiast will abercrombie uk go in closet and grab a Harley t-shirt, leather jacket and boots. But, abercrombie london does your closet contain present accessory considering all abercrombie and Fitch Polo of? The Harley helmet. With out them your road abercrombie Polos trip could end in disaster.