Monday, December 28, 2009

Post Christmas Post

This Christmas, I did something that I haven't done before. I hosted Christmas Eve dinner. My family and I celebrate the birth of Baby Jebus on the Eve and not the Day. I was pretty nervous about playing host, as I had planned for a lot of cooking. Normally, my family & I celebrate the Eve by going to a nice restaurant, and as a present to my parents, I foot the bill. I wanted to add a new level of stress to my holiday this year, so I decided to make dinner and all of the trimmings myself.

Dinner was a success, many thanks to the help of my 2 daughters and the fine folks over at Trader Joe's, for providing me with a D'lish pre-cooked ham. It was finger looking good....as was all of the other dishes and the MANY cakes and pies my family brought.

This year, with everyone's personal economies in the virtual toilet, we kept Christmas simple and kept the spending to a minimum. Normally, my Xmas tree is drowning in presents, but not this year. There wasn't much under the tree, and that was just fine with us all. The true gift of Christmas is getting to spend time with loved ones that you don't get to see very often.....and of course, eating lots & lots of savory, buttery, fattening foods....and then going back for seconds.

Christmas Day was pretty much a suck-fest....I sat around in jammies all day...didn't shower til evening...read a book, and watched too much TV. I also felt extremely lonely. I guess the day before was such a stark contrast; a house full of loved ones, laughing and reminiscing on Xmas Eve, yet on Xmas Day, it was just me and an empty house.

The following day was Boxing Day, and Jim & Lyle hosted a cocktail party to celebrate the occasion. OH EM GEE....the man knows how to decorate....His tree had me stopped in my tracks, outside his house's front window. I really wish I had taken my camera for some stealth pic taking. The entire house and yard were decorated beautifully!.... I didn't stay long, but I have to say that Jim & Lyle have some really nice friends that I enjoyed chatting with. I firmly believe that you can always tell a person's character by the friends that they keep.....and Jim is such a character.....Har !

I took all of last week off, so getting up early today was a bit of a struggle. It's a short week though, and the workplace is ghost town...[More time to read blogs!]

Now, I'm looking forward to ringing in the new year and saying Adios to 2009!

Hope you all had a Very Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Michael Rivers said...

Because of the winter storm, I never got out of Minnneapolis. Three canceled flights. Never made it home. So I was bummed. But, I think I'll be going home this weekend to celebrate!

madhouse 6 said...

2009 can suck it. only one good thing happened to me this year (lucy) and many many many shitty things (hello matt, i'm talkin' to you for starters).

so yea, 2009 can suck it big time (and i'm gettin' tired of the lonely thing too)

gee, aren't i a happy sob.

Mark in DE said...

Glad to hear you stepped out of your comfort zone and hosted your family for Xmas eve. I heart Trader Joe's, BTW. Sorry Xmas day was sucky. Why didn't you have any plans for that day too?

If you want to know about my Xmas, check out today's blog post.

Happy new year!!