Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Looking Ahead

I'm going through what I call my "Autumn Awakening". This happens to me every November. I become my most creative during this period. I crave change. I begin to plan for the year ahead; things I want to accomplish, places I want to visit, and goals I want to complete.

I've been taking a good look at my career path, and I think that a change is in order. I really don't have much to complain about with my current job, other than this job is extremely boring. I want a job that I actually enjoy doing. Does that even exist? I know I should be damn grateful just to HAVE a job in this shi-tay economy, and believe me, I am. I just don't see much career growth on my current path, and that is starting to worry/motivate me to do something about it.

I am concerned that I'm currently not in a place, financially, to take any big risks. I have 2 friends that have recently left my company, to either work for a competitor or to work in a completely different industry. Both friends are now jobless (one by choice and the other due to a lay-off). That scares me and causes me to be remain hesitant/stay put.

I know that you only get one shot at this thing called Life, and I refuse to look back on my own life and wonder what life would've been like if I'd only ..... So, I'm struggling with what choices/changes to make in the new year ahead. Things can't remain the same, that's for sure.

I predicted that, for me, 2010 was going to be a year of growth and change... and it really has been. So many wonderful things have happened in my life this year and I have grown in so many different ways. I predict 2011 will be full of even bigger and better changes. One of the things I'd definitely like to happen in 2011 is moving from Long Beach to either Pasadena, Hollywood, or the Silver Lake area of L.A...

...either city will do, as long as I'm moving into (at least) a 3,000 sq foot Cape Cod house with 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a Chef's kitchen (stocked with Viking appliances), an office space, a wine cellar (optional), an English garden in back, and a moderately sized swimming pool.

If I'm going to dream, I better dream big, otherwise, I may as well stay asleep.

6 comments:

Robert said...

It's great that you're in the mood for planning, for some, they don't even get that far. Good luck to you Chris. Sorry to hear about your 2 friends' current situations. I hope 2011 will bring good things to us all.

Let's all plan on it. :-)

Jules said...

Well whether it brings about a move or not, I hope all your dreams do come true in 2011! MWAH!

Stay in your boring ol' job until you move, and make sure you're moving because you have a job to move to. That's my advice. :)

Michael Guy said...

Please keep your current job until you see a solid, new career path with a stable, growing business. Do not put yourself in the line of fire: "Last one hired/first one fired." This economy remains shaky.

I know you want change, opportunity and challenge but take it from someone who got ZIP after a 20+year career went down the toilet.

Not lecturing, just sharing. :)

BosGuy said...

I wish you well and luck with your pending changes. One of the motto's I try to live by is "I'd rather regret the things I've done than the things I've let pass me by."

Its important to be realistic and make sound choices, but there is nothing wrong with pushing yourself out of your comfort zone either.

Keep us posted on what happens in 2011.

Jim said...

I hear the commute isn't that bad from Hollywood to Long Bitch. Come, be my neighbor!

Christopher said...

Thanks for all the advice my friends. For the time being (career wise), I'm staying put.