Monday, February 5, 2007

Weekend Recap


Saturday
Headed over to the Magritte Exhibit at LACMA with a friend...Overall, I enjoyed the exhibit....definitely worth the $15 my friend paid for my ticket. It was cool how the museum's employees all wore bowler hats, and the carpets, ceilings, doorways, and columns were tricked out, Magritte style.....I was a little disappointed that the Son of Man painting wasn't on display....I found out at the museum that it is privately owned by some big Queen. Well, they didn't exactly say that a Flamer owned it.....I'm just paraphrasing here.

Then it was off to Social Hollywood for a pre-dinner drink and a light appetizer. For real: the Lollipop Chicken Wings are finger lickin good ya'll!...I was at Social last August, and it was definitely the hot spot in Hollywood. The bar was a mad house and there were pretty people everywhere you looked. But nothing lasts forever. The bar scene on Saturday was very mellow, with no need to scream to your neighbor just to be heard. The clientele seemed to have aged and the level of pretty came down quite a few clicks. Nonetheless, we still had a great time. Social is HUGE and the Moroccan decor really works. I love the ambiance there.

Then we jetted on over to Dolce for dinner . Dolce is owned by a group of celebs including, Ashton Kutcher, Dule Hill (Charlie on "The West Wing"), and Jamie Kennedy. I was a little disappointed by the decor (ugly "tropical" plants on the walls made me feel like I was sitting in my aunt's back patio in La Puente), the food (both plates at our table can best be described as "dull"), and the service level (we had to ask repeatedly for refills of our water glasses)...I hadn't heard much about this restaurant, but I was curious to see what it was all about...No repeat visits for me.

Next stop was the Abbey. We got there around 10:00 and it was already wall to wall Homo...Thank God!...A good time is always had at the Abbey, especially when the bartender is pretty AND dumb...poor thing only charged us for 1 drink even though 2 were served.....maybe he was flirting...har!....No celeb spotted, which was pretty unusual, so we decided to get the hell outta there and head on over to Bin 8945...

Bin 8945 is a Bistro that serves oysters and ceviche, along with quite a selection of European & Caribbean tapas plates. It's great for early evening, pre-theater, regular dinner and late evening dinner choices. The full menu is available from opening until 1:30 AM. They have a nice wine selection, innovative cocktail menu, 16 world class sakes, and unique beers. We each had one drink before we drove home drunk. The kitchen sent out a little sampler plate for us to try...more flirting??....I don't know what 1/2 the stuff was that they gave us, since the server had a thick french accent (and an even thicker package), so I just smiled and nodded my head a lot...oui oui , indeed!...we decided we're coming back to try the regular menu soon!

Sunday
Recovered from Saturday night...then, cleaned house from top to bottom, ran errands, did laundry, futzed around in the garden, and then cried myself to sleep, like I usually do Sunday nights.



2 comments:

Michael Guy said...

J'adore The Abbey! Watch out for their apple martinis!

Was the 'rose lady' there?

Christopher said...

That's my favorite spot in WeHo...for all the delicious, buff, drop dead gorgeous men that are there, the attitude is VERY minimal...and my drink of choice at the Abbey is the raspberry martini!

Yes, the rose lady was there...she's a sweetie!